Simple Ways To Practice Minimalism

Friday 6 October 2017
Minimal Plant

     Although I'm far from a minimalist, I've always been curious about the minimalist lifestyle. It sounds so wonderfully freeing to be able to live with less; some are even able to fit all their possessions in a few boxes! I remain a collector at heart, though, and let's be real: there's no way I'm fitting all my clothes in a couple of suitcases.

I've collected a few tips for not-quite-minimalists like me. With these simple ways to practice minimalism, there's no need to go on an overwhelming decluttering binge. Just cut out a little unnecessary clutter, and make more room for the things you love. Read on to find out how!

Streamline Your Wardrobe.


Cleaning out the closet is one of the more time-consuming tips on this list, but extremely beneficial in terms of feeling lighter. The start of a new season is the perfect time to do this. Start by getting rid of anything damaged beyond repair or ill-fitting. Go through your Summer clothes, and donate anything you didn't wear all season. I recommend trying out the Konmari Method. Next, box those you choose to keep up and put them back in your closet for next year. Now you've given all your Fall/Winter clothes room to breathe, and no longer have to search through your wardrobe for something to wear every morning.

Choose Quality Over Quantity.


When shopping, avoid buying clothes that are super trendy (will only be worn for a season) or poorly made. Opt instead for durable, well-made pieces that you know will last, and items you absolutely love. If you're not sure about something, wait a few days before purchasing; chances are the urge to buy it will pass.

Simplify Your Morning Routine.


One of the best ways to boost your mood all day is to start it on a good note. Don't wake up and immediately grab your phone to check emails; leave work for later. Take time in the morning to eat a good breakfast, enjoy your coffee, maybe even meditate (personally, I like to do yoga in bed). Enjoying simple pleasures without multitasking is very minimalistic.

Simplify Your Online Presence.


I'm a big believer in this one. Having multiple social media accounts to keep up with can be exhausting and time-consuming. Try to pare down to one or two platforms, and delete the rest. Unfollow accounts that no longer interest you, and always keep notifications turned off. While you're at it, you can even clear off your bookmarks bar or your photo app.

Take A Break From Technology.


Schedule blocks of downtime without electronics; you could read a book, nap, or just enjoy the quiet or time with your loved ones.

Be Mindful.


Try to be minimalist when scheduling your time. Don't take on too much; instead, focus on the things that need to be done, rather than what you think you should be doing.

What are your tips for being a little more minimalist?
Simple Ways To Practice Minimalism

6 comments

  1. dear such a wonderfull post you are amazing thanks for the great tips... :)
    https://wpthemesfree.website wp best

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all things I should be doing more of. It is so hard to let go of technology
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! It's my unofficial goal this month to just enjoy the world around me without so much use of my phone. Thanks for commenting, Laura :)

      Delete
  3. This is so great. I'm not a minimalist either but I get curious as well. I just did a decluttering post to sort of go with it.
    My fave in your post is the technology. We are so used to being on our phones all the times we don't even realize it. I unsubscribed from emails I didn't want anymore and deleted apps I no longer use. Such a simple step yet so worth it.
    DecideTomorrow.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Definitely my favourite tip for living a bit more peacefully. Thanks so much for stopping by! xx

      Delete